Monday, January 7, 2013

1,110 Months


That is the number of months my grandfather lived on this earth. In years that is 92 and 1/2 years. I hope I did my math correctly, if not please forgive me! My grandfather passed away December 21, 2012. My grandfather was affectionately referred to as "Grandaddy" in our family. He was the very definition of a patriarch of the family. His family was always important to him and I pray we all let him know he was just as important to us. Grandaddy was a faithful face in the crowd. I could always count on him to be at numerous volleyball matches, basketball games, tennis matches, and soccer games. When he could get there- he was there. It didn't matter if that meant loading his scooter up in the truck so he could make it from the parking lot to the soccer field. I don't know very many friends who have been that blessed.



Grandaddy was known for his contagious smile and distinct laughter. The holidays were bittersweet having to lay this sweet man to rest before Christmas Eve. Christmas Eve was always one of the holidays that was spent as his house. We partook in a somewhat untraditional holiday meal; a fish fry complete with hush puppies, slaw, french fries, and other treats. After piling in the garage and eating dinner and dessert, we would open and exchange gifts. Of course, as a child this was what I looked forward to the most. As a young adult, it grew to be the family that I looked forward to the most. That is something my grandaddy would be proud of. He should be because he is one of the main reasons I feel that way. 

I will greatly miss giving this sweet man hugs. It was one of my favorite things to have this man hug me and tell me he loved me. I will always be grateful that is the last thing I heard him say to me, "I love you too." I will never forget the big smile on his face when he saw my 2 year old nephew Sam for the last time. I certainly wish I would have had the opportunity to introduce my grandaddy to his next great-grandchild Ian. However, I know he is running through the streets of heaven and sharing his contagious happiness with everyone there. I can't wait to get there and give him a hug again. I know the Lord is pleased to have him there and I know my grandaddy is loving worshipping the Lord pain free.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and your family. So tough to have that happen ANYtime, much less right before Christmas. Sounds like he left you with some truly happy memories though, and you know exactly where to find him again one day. :)

    ReplyDelete