Sunday, May 15, 2011

Police Officer's Memorial Day

Let the record show that today is also "National Choc Chip Day" and I was very tempted to observe this holiday but within the last couple of months an event occurred in my hometown of Athens, Ga. that led me to remind everyone of this holiday instead. Police officers often do not get the credit they deserve for doing what they do day in and day out. Are there days when their job is boring and mundane? Absolutely! Are there days when they put their lives on the line to protect and serve? ABSOLUTELY!!! Nobody is better proof of this than Athens Clarke County Senior Police Officer Elmer "Buddy" Christian. Those native to Athens remember all to well the man hunt that went on for days when Christian was killed trying to stop a suspect in a carjacking. Christian had been with the police force of Athens since 2002 and left behind a wife and two young children. A five year old little girl and a two year old little boy will now go through the rest of their lives without their father. A wife is now a single mother who must take on two roles. I cannot imagine how challenging it is to have your entire world flipped upside down in one instant because of the profession your husband chose. I guess as a military wife I have to be able to fathom that possibility on some level. I ask of you today to remember that the military is not the only unit that stands up for your protection and safety. Remember to be thankful today, and everyday, for the men who live just down the street and put on a different uniform and fight a different kind of fight. Remember Christian and his family as I am sure they continue to adjust to their family dynamics changing.
Yesterday, as you might remember my parents and I spent the day with my nephews. We had a lot of fun hanging out, playing outside, and eating at Zaxby's (despite the numerous nudges for Old MacDonald's). In case you were wondering I did manage to get Jack to celebrate Dance Like a Chicken Day.
He was very good at it! He even had his head going! I love that boy!! We also managed to get a lot of playing time in outside as well. Here are a few pictures of our playtime outside.
Because one sword is just not enough!
How is it that the youngest is the one sitting?

Such a lazy playmate! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment