Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Homecoming and Friends





Oops! Got preoccupied yesterday with watching my guilty pleasure tv show, not saying what it is! We also got a chance to talk to my sister-in-law on skype so the computer was being used for better purposes! So, that being said, I will combine yesterday and today.

Yesterday's word was homecoming. Homecoming to a military family means so much more than a dance you went to in high school. It means you have reached the end of a chapter, probably a hard chapter at that. I am very blessed in that my husband's job does not require regular deployments. He has a slightly different type of deployment that is a piece of cake compared to what some of you awesome spouses endure. I think the hardest part of my husband's year away was the timing. My husband went to basic and AIT, came home, we got married, and a week later he left for a year. It was tough because it was hard to truly feel like I was married when my life went on just as it always had. It was also difficult not having a support system of people who knew what that was like. I had my family and they were amazing but none of them had ever gone through missing their husband or wife for that long. So, while I was never worried about my husband getting hurt I did miss sharing the first year of our marriage with him. All our first had to wait around for another year. Anyhow, I love to think back to that day waiting, impatiently I might add, for him to get there!!



Today's word is friends. This has meant a lot more to me since spending two years in Germany away from family on the holidays. I am a still a rookie in military spouse terms I think so the holidays without family still see ma little strange and empty. It doesn't help that my husband works a shift job and I always have to choose whether I want him on Christmas or New Year's. Since we do not have any kids yet I usually choose New Year's! Anyhow, we have made some awesome friends while living here and it is wonderful to know that they become so much more than friends, they become family!

1 comment: